As I always do in my reviews, I'm going to include good and bad points about the foundation and I'll also be telling you a bit about skin types and application. I'm also going in include the ever so handy Skin Base comparison charts as this will give you some indication as to what shade you will be.
What is Illamasqua Skin Base Foundation?
Here's what Illamasqua have to say about their lovely Skin Base Foundation:
"Inspired by the cult Asian market Beauty Balm creams, Skin Base Foundation is a brand new, refined formula unlike anything on the UK market. Easily blendable, it effortlessly creates a perfect complexion, and like the entire Illamasqua foundation range, is undetectable in a professional HD environment. Suitable for all skin types, it smoothes, softens and conditions your skin whilst providing natural, buildable coverage."
How many shades are there and where is it available?
Illamasqua Skin Base foundation is available in 18 different shades, ranging from light to dark. They also have a pure white shade that would be prefect for mixing in with other foundations to make them lighter, this would be handy for those people who choose not to tan in winter and also those people who are naturally very pale. The great thing about the shade selection is that the foundations all have a different undertone, the shades either have a pink, yellow or neutral undertone. There is literally a shade for everyone.
If you want to find out which shade you would be, here a few comparison charts. The comparison charts compare other brand foundation shades to the Illamasqua Skin Base foundation shades. For example, if your the shade 'Siberia' in Nars foundation then the likelihood is that you'll be shade '02' in Illamasqua Skin Base foundation.
Bobbi Brown / Illamasqua Skin Base Foundation - Bobbi Brown Comparison
MAC / Illamasqua Skin Base Foundation - MAC Comparison
Nars / Illamasqua Skin Base Foundation - Nars Comparison
YSL / Illamasqua Skin Base Foundation - YSL Comparison
Other Illamasqua Foundations / Illamasqua Skin Base Foundation - Illamasqua Comparison
To give you all an indication, I use the lightest shade in all brands of foundation and according to the online comparison charts, I would have to use Skin Base '02'. Just to be sure I went to an Illamasqua counter and was matched at Skin Base '06' due to it having a neutral undertone. I think the comparison charts are really handy but I would go and get matched if you can!
The Illamasqua Skin Base foundation retails at £25.00 and can be purchased from the following places; Illamasqua, ASOS and Debenhams. The foundation bottle contains 30ml of product which is a standard amount as most foundations contain 30ml.
What does Illamasqua Skin Base Foundation look like?
Shade '06' - Neutral.
Is it suitable for all skin types?
Illamasqua Skin Base foundation is suitable for all skin types, from very dry to combination to oily. To give you a little insight, my mum suffers from very dry skin and has done since she was a youngster. Over the years she has tried and tested many foundations but unfortunately they haven't cut the mustard as many of them settled into her dry bits. The only foundation that doesn't settle in her dry bits is the Illamasqua Skin Base foundation which is amazing. My mum does follow a strict skincare routine so this could also prevent 'settling'. I know a lot of people have said that this foundation isn't good for dry skin as it settles but if you think about it, every foundation will settle into your dry bits if you don't follow a skincare routine. If you do have very dry skin then I would suggest buying an exfoliator and a moisturiser. Any exfoliator will work, you don't have to buy an uber duber expensive one, they all do the same job at the end of the day! If you exfoliate your skin 2 or 3 times a week and apply moisturiser in the morning and at night, you should see a difference in your skin. You'll also notice that your foundation will look a lot different on your skin too.
The Illamasqua Skin Base foundation is also great for combination skin types, I have combination to dry skin and whenever I wear the foundation my skin looks completely flawless. It honestly looks as if I've been airbrushed! I also find that the foundation doesn't give me a shiny look at all, it's more of a healthy glow. If you have oily skin then you may need to use blotting paper or loose powder but I honestly can't say that you will definitely have to do this as I don't have oily skin. I can only suggest what to do if you do experience a bit of shininess when using the foundation. Also, the foundation doesn't slide off the skin after hours of wearing it which is fabulous as it means you don't need to use a primer but if you suffer with oily skin then you may need to use a primer.
- Application - The foundation applies to the skin very nicely. It goes on smoothly and generally just feels lovely, the foundation melts into the skin straight away. To apply the foundation to the skin I use a Sigma F80 flat-top kabuki brush, you can use other brushes and tools but I like to use that brush as it's AMAZING. The Sigma F80 and the Illamasqua Skin Base Foundation are a match made in heaven.
- Coverage - The Illamasqua Skin Base foundation has a build-able coverage so you can either apply a light layer or build it up so you've got a full coverage. The good thing with this foundation is that you can also use it as a concealer too! When using this foundation I feel that I don't need to use a concealer as the foundation does a good enough job at hiding things, it really does cover a multitude of sins!
- Longevity - The foundation lasts all day without going patchy or sliding off the skin. I'd say that it lasts between 10-12 hours which is great if you're out all day as you know your foundation is going to last. The foundation just seems to sink into the skin and it honestly stays put. I teach dance and actually wore this foundation while carrying out a dancing lesson, I'm pleased to tell you that the sweat on my forehead and nose didn't move this baby as gross as this may sound!
- Texture - The foundation has quite a thick consistency but feels very light on the skin. It almost feels as if you're not wearing any foundation at all.
- Shade Selection - The Illamasqua Skin Base Foundation is available in 18 different shades which is absolutely fantastic. I sometimes find that I can't use a certain foundation due to the lack of shade selection, most brands don't do very light shades which is very frustrating. Estee Lauder foundations are great but I cannot use them due to the lack of lighter shades. Luckily Illamasqua cater for everyone.
- Packaging - I love the Illamasqua packaging, and I have to say that I think and will always think that Illamasqua have the nicest packaging out of all cosmetic brands. The packaging is sleek, sexy and sophisticated. With regards to the foundation, I love the odd shaped bottle and I also like how it comes with a screw top as this is very practical. It prevents spillages and other such catastrophes. The only negative thing I have to say about the packaging is that it's hard to squeeze out the product once you're running low. So when you're a little weakling, it's frustrating when you know there's product left but are unable to squeeze it out. On the plus side, the bottle has a thin nozzle meaning you don't use heaps of product.
- Availability - Illamasqua is sold online and in some department stores which is handy if you live in the UK but if you live outside of the UK then availability may be a bit of an issue. The only issue I have is that delivery is quite expensive if you're ordering in the UK but saying that, delivery is expensive everywhere nowadays.
- Price - I personally don't mind paying £25.00 for this foundation because it's utterly amazing but I must admit it does have quite a hefty price tag. If you're a student and looking at buying this foundation but don't want to spend £25.00 on it then check out ASOS because they offer 10% student discount all year round and sometimes offer 25% discount for 48 hours. ASOS don't stock all shades but you'll be on a winner if they do! It's also good to know that if you 'like' the Illamasqua Facebook Page, they have an exclusive discount for their online website so it's worth checking out!
- I have nothing bad to say about this foundation at all. If I can think of a minor negative it's that it's so good, it makes me want to spend money on another bottle.
To round up this very long review all I'm going to say is, the Illamasqua Skin Base Foundation is AMAZING and you all need to try it. Before you buy a bottle I'd recommend being match just to make sure you purchase the right shade. You really need to try it, you won't be disappointed!
Thank you for reading this post and if you have any questions, please feel free to get in touch!